Me vs Colon

Thursday, March 17, 2011

What is Ulcerative Colitis? Part 1

Ulcerative Colitis (UC) is commonly believed to be a chronic autoimmune disease, which means that the disease is caused by the immune system fighting against the body.  UC is NOT contagious and does NOT stand for University of California (this can be confusing, I know). The primary symptom of UC is ulceration in the colon. Some people have a genetic predisposition, like me. My dad was diagnosed with UC when he was in his 40s. It is not the most common disease, occuring in 35–100 people for every 100,000 in the United States, or less than 0.1% of the population. Nonetheless, it is in the Irritable Bowel Disease family, which also includes Crohn’s Disease and IBS. Altogether, there are many of us walking around, believe it or not!

You may be wondering what causes UC and worrying if you could come down with it tomorrow. It might be caused by stress of overuse of painkillers, but there is no consensus in the medical community.  It can also be triggered by an infection, such as food poisoning. In fact, I myself ate a fateful kebab in Granada, Spain, and I have been sick ever since. It is unlikely that you will get it. 

The primary method of diagnosis is through a colonoscopy. That word is nasty but will be used in the future, so you might as well get used to it. After a colonoscopy doctors prescribe medications depending on the severity and location of inflammation. However, it is important to keep in mind that each sufferer’s experience with the disease is different. There is no universal way to live with UC. For some, a change in diet can make them feel dramatically better. Stress is correlated with flare-ups, so it is also essential to learn how to live in a relaxed lifestyle. Personally, I take a three-pronged approach: Medication, Diet and Stress Management. There are some aspects of the disease that are outside of my control, such as how I respond to medication. This can be discouraging and make me feel helpless sometimes. However, I do have control over what I eat and how I approach challenges in my every day life. I do my best to minimize the negative impact diet and stress could have on my health.

Even though UC isn’t fatal, it has some horrible side effects and symptoms. If you are squeamish, this is the time to look away. What I like to call primary symptoms (because they directly result from having an ulcerated colon) include cramping, internal bleeding, diarrhea, urgency, pain spasms and vomiting. Yuck! Other symptoms, which are caused more generally by having an autoimmune disease, having nutritional deficiencies and being sick, include fevers, extreme fatigue, nausea, weight loss, anemia and loss of appetite. If you are getting worried, remember that UC is not fatal. It’s a question of quality of life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment