Me vs Colon

Saturday, July 9, 2011

Can I Stay or Can I Go?

The doctors can't seem to decide. Until noon today, I was all set to go. IV sites have to be changed every 72 hours and my nurses told me that the fact I had been given a 24-hour extension on my IV meant I was definitely going home. Just kidding! When the surgical team came in this morning to take out my staples, they informed me that the surgeon on call had decided to keep me for an extra day in case I got dehydrated. I feel fine so it's frustrating (but my family is going to a birthday party tonight so I'd be more annoyed otherwise). I can see why the doctors need to be cautious, especially considering how they let me out too early after the first surgery and I landed in deep trouble soon after. Today they did tell me that if I really really wanted to go home today I could, but they were looking at me like I would officially be an idiot if I did that. So I'm still here.

As for the staples, they have been replaced by long clear strips of tape. I didn't want to look at them being taken out, but my friend Anthony did, and he said that it was impressive how easily they came out from their size and how firmly they were stapled in. The tape will gradually curl up and come off, and is mainly for cosmetic purposes of my scar. Of course, I am super concerned about having the prettiest colectomy scar ever seen, so I will take good care of the tape. I don't want to look at it, much less scrub it. The doctors told me not to scrub my incision and I looked at them like that was the worst idea ever. They said, "Well, you'd be surprised. Lots of people try to scrub." There's still a chance my incision could become infected but it's unlikely.

Aside from my frustrations, I have been feeling better than I thought I would. This recovery was relatively easy in comparison and I think I could be out and about in not too long. My incision definitely hurts, but it's nothing like a blockage or an obstruction. Let's hope that I really do get out tomorrow!

2 comments:

  1. I'm sure your colectomy scar will be the prettiest on the block ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. COME PLAY WITH ME AND COREYYYYY

    xoxo gossip girl

    ReplyDelete