Me vs Colon

Wednesday, August 3, 2011

It's Getting Better

Last week I went for a check up with Nurse Lois Anne to see how my abscess was doing. She told me that it was much more shallow (which I wouldn't know because I actively avoid looking at it) and gave me a cream with silver nitrate. The cream helped cauterize the inside of the hole, which basically means it made the inside less soft. Since I started using the cream, the hole has healed at lightning speed. There isn't anywhere for the gauze to go at this point!

I've been having tons of cramps lately because I had a series of inadvisable : banana cream pie, tomatoes, chili flakes, cream cheese, and alcohol (for my 21st birthday). I then went on a "BRAT" diet consisting of bananas, rice, applesauce, and toast. I feel better but not as well as I did before I went on my delicious food binge. It's hard for me to sleep at night because for some reason when I lie down I start having cramps. It's also hard for me to sleep in because prednisone gets me up early even if I'm tired. I know that it takes a long time to feel 100% better - about a year. It's tempting to start imagining the surgery didn't work or I have pouchitis, especially when I'm so used to waiting for the other shoe to drop. I just have to hold my horses and see how I feel in one month.



2 comments:

  1. Getting better is definitely better than the alternative! Unfortunately, I had a setback with a leak in my pouch, which is pushing back my surgery. Hope you continue to recover! (And Happy Belated Birthday!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. How are you doing? Any issues with the pouch? Have you been able to return to Georgetown?

    ReplyDelete