Me vs Colon

Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Happy Trails

On the beach in Hawaii, getting in fish camouflage before snorkeling
Quite a bit of time has gone by since my last blog post, which shows how well I’m doing. Although my recovery is now very gradual, I am much better than I was four months ago. I am much more adventurous with food now – over the winter holidays I had deep-dish Chicago style pizza, also known as tomato central. I hadn’t any for more than three years and it was just as good as I remembered! I still avoid certain foods like lettuce, raw onions, spicy things, and caffeine. While some people might be glad they could avoid lettuce, I actually really like it (…but for the salad dressing, of course). Maybe I will try eating some in a few months.

I also went backpacking in Hawaii over the winter holidays! Initially I decided not to go because I didn’t think I was up to it. As the rest of my family got ready to go, however, I realized I was done with being a “no” person and since my family would support me if I had any trouble, a trip with them would be the best possible way to get back into backpacking. And I am so glad I made that choice! To my surprise, there were actually compost latrines by each campsite, so it even surpassed my expectations. We hiked over twenty miles on lava flows and camped on the beach beneath coconut palms. We even got to snorkel in a coral garden that was incredibly pristine because it was ten miles from any road. I finally felt like I couldn’t be farther from being a sick person and I was so happy that my family was with me to share in my high spirits. We all say that the surgery was a miracle.

In other news, my irritable bowel disease group has been going very well. We have been growing in number and I hope that it will continue after I leave Georgetown. As I embark on an internship with the Department of State this semester, make plans for the summer, and make plans for next year, UC just seems like a short and miserable detour that will diminish in importance as the years go by.

2 comments:

  1. Hey-
    I'm still not very good at talking to people who have also had their colon removed but, I wanted to say I that I appreciated how you documented your struggle with IBD. After graduating from Bryn Mawr College last May, I was diagnosed with F.A.P. and had to postpone my post-grad plans for an emergency proctocolectomy. After almost a year of "recovery time" (aka doing nothing), I too have spent a lot of time using the internet as therapy. It was nice to come across a blog that realistically portrayed the pain without being to much of a downer while not being saccharinely sweet and overly optimistic. I was interesting to hear you recount your surgeries as I had very similar experiences and complications. I too had the fun filled reoccurring small bowel obstruction after the first surgery that landed me in the hospital for several weeks and discovered the joys of dilaudid. Also, for whatever reason, cheese itz and milanos have been one of my food staples since having surgery. Maybe the colon produces some sort of chemical that represses our cheese itz craving?

    Anyway, I hope all is well and that you have a kickass post-grad year planned! I saw that you took the GRE's and am super jealous of your motivation (during this entire year of recovery time, I haven't once been able to look at my MCAT book). I'd love to hear what you've got planned! Feel free to send me an e-mail or stop by my newly formed blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for the comment! It means a lot to know you appreciate the blog. And yes, isn't it so nice to be able to eat what you want? It's so much less stressful and so much tastier! I should post something soon to give an update on my pouch and my plans, so thanks for the reminder. I hope you are doing well! I would send you an email but I couldn't find your address.

    ReplyDelete