Me vs Colon

Sunday, May 22, 2011

Back to the hospital I go

I am back in the hospital after some of the worst days of my life. I have had terrible pain around my belly button, probably resulting from a blockage of my upper intestine. I went the ER at five in the morning after I started throwing up just from pain. The pain also went to my spine. They gave me anti-nausea medication and morphine, discharging me in the afternoon. I voluntarily hadn't eaten anything in 26 hours. The ER gave me a really strong pain killer called Dilaudid, which seemed like the only thing that could keep me out of the hospital. I started feeling nauseous before I even took it and couple hours later I started throwing up and just couldn't stop. The only thing I had eaten in 30 hours was half a protein shake. I had to back to the ER. When I had left earlier in the day, the ER told me that if I needed to come back I could just be admitted straight away and skip the ER. However, when we got to Admissions it was closed and I had to go the ER. I couldn't walk because I was throwing up everywhere so someone found a wheelchair and they took me to the ER. I couldn't stop throwing up or shaking so it took a while for them to get an IV in with anti-nausea medication and morphine. After a couple hours they transported me back to the hospital and the floor where I recovered from surgery. I got to go in an ambulance! That was exciting, except for the reason why I had to go in the ambulance. It took a while for my new location to get me anti-nausea medication so I started throwing up again, but this time it was just dark green because I had thrown up absolutely everything else. The doctors had to give me a different kind of anti-nausea medication to finally make me stop. I kept waking up at night in pain and I can push my morphine pain button but it doesn't even help. Today, two days later, I still haven't eaten anything but I am allowed to chew on ice chips. The doctors think I might not have absorbed prednisone pills correctly and by consequence gotten a blockage and inflammation.  So now I am not eating and on liquid steroids again. Hopefully I will get better. I feel ok right now but suddenly I feel worse and only time makes me feel better. This post is disorganized but no one even knows for sure what is wrong with me and I get confused about what happened when. All I want is not to have my second surgery postponed so that I can go back to Georgetown in the fall. 

1 comment:

  1. I'm sorry to hear you're having such a rough time of it. I must admit it scares the bejeezus out of me as I just scheduled my surgery for the end of June with your surgeon. Here's hoping you get better soon!

    ReplyDelete