Me vs Colon

Friday, May 27, 2011

My upper intestine is like a snail

It looks like my release won't be for a while. Yesterday I tried pudding but I started having terrible pain spasms in my stomach. It feels like my insides are being pulled and twisted and ripped all at the same time. Then I threw up the pudding! For my doctors, that was a setback. I resisted morphine until I really didn't have a choice. It definitely made me feel better but I can't be on morphine at home so I have to be able to control my pain using oral pain medications. My nurse told me that the upper intestine can just take a really long time to start working after it has been blocked, and that I will be fine eventually. 

This morning I felt really well and I tried yogurt instead. I made a little trip to the cool meditation center but I felt the pain spasms returning so I went back to my room. I didn't wait as long to ask for morphine but I also had to get some valium AND percocet. I hate being on so many drugs but otherwise I am just so absolutely miserable that I don't have another option. 

For the first time today I started feeling like what is happening to me really isn't fair. I'm not angry or anything. I just wish that this wasn't me. Still, when I think back on how deeply unhappy I was before surgery and how I just could not go on, I know that the decision for surgery was the only one. It can be easy to lose sight of the big picture when my body hurts so much. I am lucky to be in a top-notch hospital where I feel really safe. I just need to be patient. It also really helps to have so many people who support me and are doing whatever they can to make me feel better. What's a couple more days in the hospital for a lifetime of health?


1 comment:

  1. Come on Emily's intestine! Work faster!

    I know the recovery is sucking, but just focus on all the amazing food you'll get eat after! Hope you feel better soon Emily!

    ReplyDelete