Me vs Colon

Sunday, May 15, 2011

Home sweet home

Today i got home from the hospital! I was definitely ready to go but I am still very weak. Yesterday they let me start eating solid foods like pasta, carrots, and turkey. Eating is getting less painful but it still takes motivation. This morning they took out the drain that was on my left side. The doctor told me it would be a weird feeling but I wasn't quite prepared for the idea of him pulling out a plastic tube from my stomach that had been there for days. Then they took out my IVs and gave me some doses of steroids, pain killers and antacids. 

I had to walk on my own for a little bit and it was pretty hard. I still can't stand up straight and I feel so exhausted after walking a couple steps. They brought me a wheelchair to take me to my parents' car and we drove home. Each little bump in the road felt like someone was sticking a hangar into my belly button and moving it around. My stoma is in a really awkward place because it is right at my pant-line so I can either wear my pants super saggy style or really high like an old person. Either way, I will be the coolest kid on the block.

 Of course, today was the Bay to Breakers marathon in San Francisco, which is mostly just a parade of naked drunk people with a few runners. We had to avoid them in the streets but I made it home safe and sound to Kitty, who was waiting for me.  I got to take my first shower in way too long and finally be in my bed. The plan for the next couple days is to practice walking a couple times a day and help my stomach muscles recover. Tonight I get to eat tomato sauce for the first time in two years!

No comments:

Post a Comment