Me vs Colon

Friday, May 13, 2011

I am still getting beter

The post I did today was from yesterday, and boy am I better today! They took me off my pain button for liquid morphine so I am much more aware. Now I am on just two oxycontin pills every four hours. I am less sore and have a lot more energy but eating really painful. My stomach muscles are just starting to work again so even eating jello is difficult. Today I walked all the way to the end of the hall and back and I didn't feel like sleeping in the middle of it! I am really doing much better and I honestly don't remember much of Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday. Various friends told me that I called them but I don't remember. I got confused about what day of the week it was and each day felt like a year. I thought that maybe they were moving me at night because I didn't recognize my room in the dark. Today I was able to eat cream of wheat, yogurt and pudding! I would have preferred chocolate, of course, but I won't say no to vanilla. Some friends came to visit and I didn't fall asleep the whole time they were here. Tomorrow I might move to more complicated foods, like bread, and then the earliest I could be discharged is Sunday. A nurse came and showed me how to change my bag and I wanted to throw up. All I can say is that luckily it's only temporary. I had been told that the first two days after surgery would be the worst and after two weeks I would really start to feel better. So far, I am on track!

It's truly miraculous how much better I already feel. I always dragged myself places before because I didn't want to miss out. Now I actually want to DO things, like eat in a restaurant, go see a movie, socialize, take a walk..you name it, I'd be up for it. I might be getting a bit ahead of myself at this point but I think that I have a pretty normal lifestyle in my near future. I feel normal again!

1 comment:

  1. I'm so happy to hear you're on the mend. I appear to be on the path for surgery in the near future, and "reading" you go through it has been a tremendous help and inspiration as I consider my decision. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete